National Student Financial Aid Scheme
National Student Financial Aid Scheme Application
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme is a programme run by the South African government that offers financial aid to undergraduate students to assist in covering the cost of their higher education after they graduate from high school.
The Scheme operates under the auspices of DHET which is one of the South African government’s departments. Department of Higher Education and Training is responsible for supervising South African universities, colleges and other post-secondary institutions.
Some students are good academically but due to financial difficulty, some become dropouts and end up on the streets, but with the help of the Nsfas funds, every South African can now afford to pay for their education without stress. All Nsfas applications are done online.
Online Application Date For National Student Financial Aid Scheme 2023
The application doors for Nsfas will be opened for the year 2023 to all applicants from the 7th of November 2022 and closes on the 21st of January 2023. Applicants are therefore urged to apply within the application deadline.
Who Qualifies For The National Student Financial Aid Scheme 20223
If you fall under this category of people, then you are eligible to apply for the 2023 nsfas application:
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
Read: My Nsfas Application 2023
Who Should Not Apply For The 2023 National Student Financial Aid Scheme
The following people are not allowed to apply:
- Students that have completed a previous qualification.
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350 000 per annum.
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
- Foreign students (any student who is not a South African citizen).
What Does The 2023 National Student Financial Aid Scheme Cover
The 2023 Nsfas funds can be used to pay for the following:
- As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, of 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
- Accommodation in an urban area R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in a peri-urban area R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in a rural area R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
What Are The Needed Requirements To Apply For The National Student Financial Aid Scheme 2023
All candidates must supply the following supporting documents in order to be considered; so make sure you have them available before submitting your application. Applications won’t be accepted without these materials:
- South African ID document (this can include any of the following):
- copy of green ID document
- temporary ID from the DHA
- copy of both sides of the Smart ID card
- unbridged birth certificate
- Non-SASSA grant applicants: Parents, guardians or spouse ID documents (copies only)
- Own, parents, guardians or spouse proof of income, if a non-SASSA applicant (this can include any of the following):
- latest payslip if employed (not older than 3 months)
- UIF letter
- employment letter
- retrenchment letter, if a non-SASSA applicant
- Students with disabilities: complete and sign the Disability Annexure A Form
- Students who are recognised as Vulnerable Children by the Department of Social Development: complete and sign the Vulnerable Child
- Declaration Form
How To Apply For The 2023 National Student Financial Aid Scheme Funds
Follow the process below to apply online for the Nsfas:
- Visit NSFAS Application 2023 website: www.nsfas.org.za/apply-2023.
- Then, you click on the ‘myNSFAS’ tab.
- Create a myNSFAS account.
- Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab.
- Update your personal information.
- Answer the questions you see on the screen.
- Upload all the required supporting documents.
- Finally, click on submit
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact NSFAS directly:
- Tel: 0860 067 327
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope the information given has been helpful to you, leave your comments in the comments section. Better still you can visit the official website of NSFAS for more details.