National Student Financial Aid Scheme
National Student Financial Aid Scheme Application
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme is a program run by the South African government that offers financial aid to undergraduate students to assist in covering the cost of their higher education after graduating high school.
The Scheme operates under the auspices of DHET which is one of the South African government’s departments. Department of Higher Education and Training is responsible for supervising South African universities, colleges, and other post-secondary institutions.
Some students are good academically but due to financial difficulty, some become dropouts and end up on the streets, with the help of the NSFAS funds, every South African can now afford to pay for their education without stress. All NSFAS applications are done online.
Online Application Date For National Student Financial Aid Scheme 2024
The application doors for Nsfas will be opened for the year 2024 to all applicants from the 21st of November 2023 and will close on the 31st of January 2024. Applicants are therefore urged to apply within the application deadline.
Who Qualifies For The National Student Financial Aid Scheme 20224
If you fall under this category of people, then you are eligible to apply for the 2024 NSFAS application:
- SASSA grant recipients
- South African citizens or permanent residents
- Candidates whose annual gross household income combined is not greater than R350 000
- individuals with disabilities whose annual gross family income is not greater than R600,000.
- Both a cell phone number and email address are required.
Who Should Not Apply For The 2024 National Student Financial Aid Scheme
Students who have previously applied for and been awarded financing, are not yet finished with their current degree and have no intention of switching from one industry to another (TVET College to University or vice versa).
If they pass all of their modules and fulfill the academic standards, they will get automatic funding for the remainder of their study.
What Does The 2024 National Student Financial Aid Scheme Cover
The 2024 Nsfas funds can be used to pay for the following:
NSFAS will cover your costs for:
- Living allowance
- Learning material allowance
- Personal care allowance
UNISA students will receive funding for:
- Books (subject to the number of modules registered)
- Personal care allowance
Eligible students with a disability will receive funding for:
- Assistive Devices
- Human Support
All candidates must supply the following supporting documents in order to be considered; so make sure you have them available before submitting your application. Applications won’t be accepted without these materials:
- South African ID document (this can include any of the following):
- copy of green ID document
- temporary ID from the DHA
- copy of both sides of the Smart ID card
- unbridged birth certificate
- Non-SASSA grant applicants: Parents, guardians, or spouse ID documents (copies only)
- Own, parents, guardians, or spouse proof of income, if a non-SASSA applicant (this can include any of the following):
- latest payslip if employed (not older than 3 months)
- UIF letter
- employment letter
- retrenchment letter, if a non-SASSA applicant
- Students with disabilities: complete and sign the Disability Annexure A Form
- Students who are recognized as Vulnerable Children by the Department of Social Development: complete and sign the Vulnerable Child
- Declaration Form
Other documents that may be required, if applicable
- Retrenchment letter
- Death certificate/s
- Divorce Decree
- Proof of legal guardianship
- Marriage certificate
- other documents may be required for appeal purposes,….eg retrenchment letter
How To Apply For The 2024 National Student Financial Aid Scheme Funds
Follow the process below to apply online for the NSFAS:
- Create a profile: Use this link to register for a myNSFAS account: https://my.nsfas.org.za/ or get the NSFAS App from the App Store or Google Play. Your username will be your ID number.
- Apply now: To amend your personal information and upload the supporting documents for your application, click the “Apply” option.
- Complete: Submit your application
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact NSFAS directly:
- Tel: 0860 067 327
- Email: email@example.com
Hope the information given has been helpful to you, leave your comments in the comments section. Better still you can visit the official website of NSFAS for more details.