Which Universities Does Nsfas Fund
Which Public Universities Does Nsfas Fund
In South Africa, the government has come out with an agency that provides financial support to students who enroll at public Universities. Many South African students who get admission into Universities mostly face financial difficulties because their parents can’t afford their education that’s why through the Department of Higher Education and Training students can now receive funds as bursaries to care for themselves in school.
Do you wish to study or are already studying at a public university and come from a family with an income of R350 000 or less, then it’s time to apply for Nsfas. NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training established according to the NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) to provide financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
Who Is Qualified To Apply For Nsfas 2024
Nsfas provides funds to university students who fall under the following categories:
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualify for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- A person with a disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 and whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
Nsfas Application Date 2024-2025
The online application date for the 2024-2025 application starts on the 21st of November 2023 and closes on the 31st of January 2024. Therefore all students who wish to apply must do that within the application period to prevent their application from being denied.
Which Universities Does Nsfas Fund In 2024
NSFAS only provides financial support to public universities. Private institutions in South Africa do not receive funds from Nsfas.
Apart from that Nsfas provides funds to support students in paying their registration fee, tuition fee, and learning materials among others, the funds also cover the following:
As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, of 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance of R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
Read Also:Nsfas Tvet Colleges
Application Requirements For Nsfas 2024-2025
To apply for 2024-2025 academic funds from Nsfas, you must possess the following documents:
- South African ID document (this can include any of the following):
- copy of green ID document
- temporary ID from the DHA
- copy of both sides of the Smart ID card
- unbridged birth certificate
- Non-SASSA grant applicants: Parents, guardians, or spouse ID documents (copies only)
- Own, parents, guardians, or spouse proof of income, if a non-SASSA applicant (this can include any of the following):
- latest payslip if employed (not older than 3 months)
- UIF letter
- employment letter
- retrenchment letter, if a non-SASSA applicant
- Students with disabilities: complete and sign the Disability Annexure A Form
- Students who are recognized as Vulnerable Children by the Department of Social Development: complete and sign the Vulnerable Child
- Declaration Form
How To Apply Online For Nsfas Bursaries In 2024
Follow the process below to apply online for the NSFAS bursaries for 2024-2025:
- Visit NSFAS Application 2024 website: www.nsfas.org.za
- Then, you click on the ‘myNSFAS’ tab.
- Create a myNSFAS account.
- Click on the ‘APPLY’ tab.
- Update your personal information.
- Answer the questions you see on the screen.
- Upload all the required supporting documents.
- Finally, click on submit
Which Universities Does Nsfas Fund
Below are some of the public universities in South Africa that are funded by Nsfas:
- University of Cape Town
- University of the Western Cape
- Central University of Technology
- University of Free State
- Durban University of Technology
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
- University of Kwazulu-Natal
- University of Zululand
- North-West University
- Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Pretoria
- University of South Africa
- University of the Witwatersrand
- Vaal University of Technology
- University of Limpopo (Ga-Rankuwa Campus)
- University of Limpopo (Turfloop Campus)
- University of Venda
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- Rhodes University
- Sol Plaatje University
- University of Mpumalanga
- University of Fort Hare
- Walter Sisulu University (Buffalo City Campus)
- Walter Sisulu University (Butterworth Campus)
- Walter Sisulu University (Mthatha Campus)
- Walter Sisulu University (Queenstown Campus)
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Stellenbosch University
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact NSFAS directly:
- Tel: 0860 067 327
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org